Welcome from the Head of School
A year ago I wrote:
I can honestly say that this is one of the most exciting starts to a school year I have ever experienced throughout my career. The support and positivity at the open house and first week of school have been incredible. I am so appreciative of all the hard work the teachers and staff did to prepare for this year. In addition, I am very thankful for each family that chose to send their children to the Seacoast Charter School. We are at full capacity with over two hundred students on a waiting list.
These words continue to ring true as we start a new year at SCS. It is truly amazing to think that only three short years ago, SCS was without a home. Since the purchase of our building in October 2016, we have worked hard to create a healthy and safe building learning environment for our students. Some of the larger projects we have undertaken this spring and summer are:
- Installed a generator that ensures 24/7 power and backup for the school’s emergency lighting
- Installed an HVAC system that allows fresh air flow in every classroom and a master system that monitors the entire building
- Increased security measures by installing security cameras in and outside the building.
- Implemented the following parts of our Master Schoolyard Plan:
- Installed fencing in the front play area
- Increased play space
- Created a nature trail and outdoor classroom
- Built a gaga pit
- Engaged a landscape architect to design our natural playground
SCS has also been able to increase our school counselor’s time from two to three days a week, offer full-time hours for our PE/health teacher, and purchase technology for all grade levels.
During the year we will continue to share details about these and all our other ongoing projects. In reflecting on our short time in Dover, I am amazed by what we have accomplished. And we have you, our parent community, to thank for believing in our mission at SCS.
As Helen Keller once said, “Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.”
Head of School